Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) Request for Leprosy Data

Leprosy Mailing List – June 29,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) Request for Leprosy Data

From:  Stanley Kingsley, Mumbai, India

Dear Dr Pieter,

Ref.: (LML) Request for Leprosy Data from Dr Sabha – June 27, 2022

In response to the request for official leprosy data of NLEP, India, I herewith share a few documents / reports from 2015 to 2021 (except the data for 2018-19) published by the Central Leprosy, Division, NLEP, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India.

These are downloaded from the NLEP website (https://nlep.nic.in) and can be used for academic purposes with due acknowledgement to the Central Leprosy Division.

Hope this help the purpose and best wishes to Dr Sabha

S Kingsley

Bombay Leprosy Project, Mumbai

PS: Unfortunately, the official NLEP website is not operational since 2020

LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

Monday, June 27, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) June update on ILC 2022

Leprosy Mailing List – June 27,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) June update on ILC 2022

From:  Francesca Gajete, Manilla, Philippines

Dear Partners In Leprosy Service,

Greetings from ILA Philippines!

I am sharing the good news from Dr Narasimha Rao posted at the LML and  his high hopes for your active involvement in whatever means this is possible.

.

We thank you for your continued support to the global leprosy programs initiatives.

Sincerely,

Dr Francesca Cando Gajete, MHA;FPLS

VP for ASIA (Philippines)

email: francesca_gajete@yahoo.com

Mobile : +63 933 3943 514

Sent: 27 June 2022 14:42
To: Leprosy Mailing List <leprosymailinglist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Ref.: (LML) June update on ILC 2022

From:  Sabha Mushtaq, Jammu, India

Dear Sir,

I have a humble request to colleagues/leprosy researchers (members of Leprosy Mailing List) who can help with leprosy data. I need official leprosy data (of India) for academic purposes:

1. Monthly Data for Leprosy indicators - National figures (and statewise figures, if possible) from 2015 to 2021.

2. NLEP Annual Report for:

2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19. 2019-20, 2020-21

Dear sir, kindly help in getting the above data. I will highly appreciate it,

Bests,

Dr. Sabha MD

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) June update on ILC 2022

Leprosy Mailing List – June 25,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) June update on ILC 2022

From:  P. Narasimha Rao, Hyderabad, India

Dear Pieter,

Greetings from ILC 2022.

I am happy to provide an update on the Congress. The preparations for the congress are going well. The event is about four and half months away and the organising committee is very excited about it.

The response to the congress abstracts has been very good. While we received more than  500 abstracts by 15 May 2022, by the extended last day for submissions we received 1060 abstracts. Of these about half are for possible free paper presentations. All these are in the process of review and finalisation. The abstract mentor programme was well received and with the help of mentor volunteers from the scientific community we could support more than 30 abstract submissions.

The number of registrations for the conference is encouraging  and more than 600 registrations were confirmed till now and we can expect more based on abstract acceptance in the next few months.

We are happy that all the major global leprosy stakeholders including WHO, Sasakawa, ILEP, TLM, LEPRA, Novartis among others, have agreed to take part in the congress. In view of the overwhelming response for oral presentation we are planning to increase the number of physical halls for the conference to facilitate more participation.

The registration portal for the congress is open. We encourage all the LML members to register and participate in ILC 2022. And of course, we are planning  a special LML session as a part of the programme.

I once again take this opportunity to welcome you all to ILC 2022 India.

Best regards,

P. Narasimha Rao, MD, D.D, PhD

Organising Secretary, 21st International Leprosy Congress. 2022

President, Indian Association of Leprologists (IAL)

Past President, National IADVL- 2019

Coordinator, SIG-NTD, IADVL 2021-23

Professor of Dermatology,

Bhaskar medical college,

Hyderabad, India

Mobile-+91-9849044898

Email: dermarao@gmail.com

www.ial-leprosy.org

www.ilc-india2022.com

Friday, June 24, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) Unequal distribution of leprosy in Mozambique

Leprosy Mailing List – June 24,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) Unequal distribution of leprosy in Mozambique

From:  Sunil Deepak, Scio. Italy

Dear Pieter,

The latest InfoNTD newsletter (23 June 2022) mentions a sociological paper about leprosy in Mozambique, " Health and ethnic inequalities in Mozambique with special reference to leprosy " ( WIDER Working Paper 2022/50, United Nations University). The full paper is available from the following link:

https://www.wider.unu.edu/sites/default/files/Publications/Working-paper/PDF/wp2022-50-health-ethnic-inequalities-Mozambique-special-reference-leprosy.pdf

It stimulated my curiosity when I read its abstract which said, " The colonial regime, by neglecting and creating ineffective leprosaria in central and northern Mozambique, 'ethnicized' Lazarus disease, a fact corroborated by its current unequal distribution."

The paper makes the following considerations (some examples are quoted here) regarding the unequal distribution of leprosy in Mozambique:

" Considering that, following the precepts of the World Health Organization (WHO), Mozambique has been free of Lazarus disease since 2008, two pertinent questions arose: (i) 'Why has leprosy reemerged in Mozambique?' 3 ; (ii) 'Why is leprosy more prevalent in northern and central Mozambique?':

- The 20th Century Health Inventory available in the Historical Archive of Mozambique has relevant data on colonial policies in relation to leprosy. The effects of these policies are still being felt today. The reports of the Ministry of Health document the effort to eradicate leprosy, but also issues concerning its regional distribution (among certain ethnolinguistic groups).

- Leprosy, eradicated in 2008 but subsequently resurged, has raised the interest of various scholars, ranging from ethnographers (Dias and Dias 1998; Junod 1996) to historians (Liesegang 1994; Roque 2016; Zamparoni 2017: 13–39), anthropologists (Palhota 2012), epidemiologists (GrauPujol et al. 2019; Griffiths and Ready 2001; Marrega et al. 2019; Silva 2007; Stuip et al. 2003), and biologists/botanists (Conde et al. 2014; Sitoe 2020).

- We propose to reflect on 'what conditions make health inequalities unjust' and to consider 'the merits of policies that prioritize the elimination of health disparities' (Arcaya et al. 2015: 1) caused by leprosy, in other words the conditions and policies that put some ethnic groups at risk of developing leprosy and how they operate at a social level (Lockwood 2004). "

Reading this paper raised up some issues in my mind, including the following:

(1) It is a comment on WHO's "elimination goal" which continues to be misunderstood not just by lay persons but also by other professionals, who understand it as "eradication of leprosy". Yet, in some ways, people engaged in leprosy related work, we continue to use the terms like leprosy elimination, more than 15 years after the goal was achieved.

(2) Sister disciplines like sociology looking at history of medicine may not have any dialogue with the health services and professionals involved in programmes like leprosy control, have no or limited understanding about the roles and limitations of leprosariums, about the different issues related to the continuing limitations of leprosy diagnosis and treatment, though a huge amount of literature is available about it. The authors of this paper quote different other papers written by other professionals such as historians, anthropologists, epidemiologists, etc. who seem to have done similar studies and who share the same kinds of understandings. So I was asking myself, how can this gap be bridged?

Warm regards,

Dr Sunil Deepak

Schio (VI), Italy

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) New Publications On Cross-Cutting Issues In NTDs, June 2022

Leprosy Mailing List – June 23,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) New Publications On Cross-Cutting Issues In NTDs, June 2022

From:  Roos Geutjes, Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Dear colleagues,

Today is an exciting day! The Kigali Summit is taking place which provides an opportunity to secure political support and investment in integrating NTDs programmes, as well as wider healthcare and cross-sectoral programmes. Better integration across sectors will lead to more efficient use of limited funding, better integration of data to help those in need, as well as better delivery of life-saving tools.

In the past month, the National Leprosy Programmes of Côte d'Ivoire, Uganda, and Tanzania have convened partners and held workshops to develop national action plans to achieve zero leprosy. These plans outline specific targets, key activities, and resources needed to achieve no disease, no disability, and no discrimination or stigma in each country. These workshops used the new Global Partnership for Zero Leprosy (GPZL) framework

Have you already registered for the NTD NGO Network (NNN) Conference 2022Registration is open now!

Enjoy reading the selection of the latest NTD publications that are listed below. We offer free full text delivery services. Feel free to contact us to receive the full-text versions if these cannot be found through the InfoNTD portal. We will also gladly support you with literature searches.

Warm regards,
Roos Geutjes

InfoNTD Coordinator
www.InfoNTD.org
info@InfoNTD.org

Practical materials

Ending the neglect to attain the sustainable development goals: a strategic framework for integrated control and management of skin-related neglected tropical diseases
WHO/Department of control of neglected tropical diseases. World Health Organization. 2022.

Eye care situation analysis tool (ECSAT)
World Health Organization. 2022.

A framework for understanding, designing, developing and evaluating learning health systems
Foley T, Vale L. Wiley. Learning Health Systems. 2022.

World Mental Health Report
World Health Organization. World Health Organization. 2022.

Other new publications

Missing in action: the right to the highest attainable standard of mental health care.
Song Y, Rosenberg S, Smith B, et al. International journal of mental health systems. 2022; 16 (1) : 26.

Health and ethnic inequalities in Mozambique with special reference to leprosy
Casimiro I, Machele J. United Nations University World Institute. 2022.

Sociodiscursive representations about leprosy in educational campaigns: implications on stigma reduction.
Arantes E, Lana F. Revista brasileira de enfermagem. 2022; 75Suppl 2 (Suppl 2) : e20210410.

How do income changes impact on mental health and wellbeing for working-age adults? A systematic review and meta-analysis
Thomson RM, Igelström E, Purba AK, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet Public Health. 2022; 7 (6) : e515-e528.

The impact of income on mental health
Shields-Zeeman L, Smit F. Elsevier BV. The Lancet Public Health. 2022; 7 (6) : e486-e487.

Towards elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis in Kenya: improving advocacy, communication and social mobilization activities for mass drug administration, a qualitative study.
Kibe L, Kimani B, Okoyo C, et al. Tropical diseases, travel medicine and vaccines. 2022; 8 (1) : 16.

A refined and updated health impact assessment of the Global Programme to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis (2000–2020)
Turner HC, Ottesen EA, Bradley MH. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. Parasites &amp; Vectors. 2022.

Prevalence and management of filarial lymphoedema and its associated factors in Lindi district, Tanzania: A community‐based cross‐sectional study
John W, Mushi V, Tarimo D, et al. Wiley. Tropical Medicine &amp; International Health. 2022.

Integrated transmission assessment surveys (iTAS) of lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasis in Cross River, Taraba and Yobe States, Nigeria
Anagbogu IN, Saka YA, Surakat OA, et al. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. Parasites &amp; Vectors. 2022.

Report on the fourth WHO stakeholders meeting on gambiense and rhodesiense human African trypanosomiasis elimination
World Health Organization . World Health Organization. 2022.

Traditional knowledge and phytochemical screening of plants used in snakebite prevention in Benin
Dossou AJ, Fandohan AB, Omara T, et al. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2022.

State of knowledge and challenges in the control and eradication of Onchocerciasis in Africa: a mini scoping review
Barrow A, Mbowe F. Trends Journal of Sciences Research. Trends Journal of Sciences Research. 2022; 2 (1) : 1-6.

Lessons learnt from applying a human-centred design process to develop one of the largest mobile health communication programmes in the world
Chamberlain S, Dutt P, Mitra R, et al. BMJ. BMJ Innovations. 2022.

Yaws elimination in Ecuador: Findings of a serological survey of children in Esmeraldas province to evaluate interruption of transmission
Cooper PJ, Anselmi M, Caicedo C, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2022; 16 (5) : e0010173.

Knowledge, attitude, and practices towards cutaneous leishmaniasis in referral cases with cutaneous lesions: A cross-sectional survey in remote districts of southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
Ahmad S, Obaid MK, Taimur M, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS ONE. 2022; 17 (5) : e0268801.

Challenges for fighting Chagas disease in the 21st century
Freitas LP, Lana RM, Cruz OG. FapUNIFESP (SciELO). Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. 2022.

Contextual influence on poor self-rated health in patients with Chagas disease: multilevel study
Ferreira AM, Sabino EC, Silva LCDO, et al. FapUNIFESP (SciELO). Ciência &; Saúde Coletiva. 2022; 27 (7) : 2827-2842.

Reflections, suggestions for putting into practice the principles of information, education and communication - IEC on Chagas disease in a community context
Anselmi M. FapUNIFESP (SciELO). Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. 2022.

Digital Solutions for Community and Primary Health Workers: Lessons From Implementations in Africa
Owoyemi A, Osuchukwu JI, Azubuike C, et al. Frontiers Media SA. Frontiers in Digital Health. 2022.

Lola Kola: developing mHealth for mental health in west Africa
Samarasekera U. Elsevier BV. The Lancet. 2022; 399 (10342) : 2181.

Does a school-based intervention to engage parents change opportunity for handwashing with soap at home? Practical experience from the Mikono Safi trial in Northwestern Tanzania
Sedekia Y, Kapiga S, Mcharo O, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2022; 16 (6) : e0010438.

Implementation of hand hygiene in health-care facilities: results from the WHO Hand Hygiene Self-Assessment Framework global survey 2019
de Kraker MEA, Tartari E, Tomczyk S, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2022; 22 (6) : 835-844.

It depends on how you tell: a qualitative diagnostic analysis of the implementation climate for community-wide mass drug administration for soil-transmitted helminth
Avokpaho E, Lawrence S, Roll A, et al. BMJ. BMJ Open. 2022; 12 (6) : e061682.

Framing Poverty in Nigerian Online Media Reports on the Inaugural Neglected Tropical Diseases Day
Omitola OM. Springer International Publishing. Health Crises and Media Discourses in Sub-Saharan Africa. 2022.

Public Health Policy Pillars for the Sustainable Elimination of Zoonotic Schistosomiasis
Janoušková E, Clark J, Kajero O, et al. Frontiers Media SA. Frontiers in Tropical Diseases. 2022.

Defining optimal implementation packages for delivering community-wide mass drug administration for soil-transmitted helminths with high coverage.
Gwayi-Chore M, Aruldas K, Avokpaho E, et al. BMC health services research. 2022; 22 (1) : 792.

Stakeholder's perspective on the slow progress towards elimination of trachoma as a public health problem, and suggested recommendations for future intervention improvements: A pilot case study in Bugna district, 2020, Northeast Ethiopia
Kassaw MW, Tegegne KM, Ahmed M, et al. Research Square Platform LLC. 2022.

The Road to Elimination: Current State of Schistosomiasis Research and Progress Towards the End Game
Ogongo P, Nyakundi RK, Chege GK, et al. Frontiers Media SA. Frontiers in Immunology. 2022.

High schistosomiasis-related mortality in Northeast Brazil: trends and spatial patterns
Silva BMD, Ferreira AF, Silva JAMD, et al. FapUNIFESP (SciELO). Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical. 2022.

Persistence of Schistosomiasis-Related Morbidity in Northeast Brazil: An Integrated Spatio-Temporal Analysis
Silva BMD, Ferreira AF, da Silva JAM, et al. MDPI AG. Tropical Medicine and Infectious Disease. 2021; 6 (4) : 193.

The Management of Female Genital Schistosomiasis in Tanzania: Challenges and Call for Action
Mushi V. Egypts Presidential Specialized Council for Education and Scientific Research. Afro-Egyptian Journal of Infectious and Endemic Diseases. 2022.

Community-wide prevalence and intensity of soil-transmitted helminthiasis and Schistosoma mansoni in two districts of Sierra Leone
Tupps C, Kargbo-Labour I, Paye J, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2022; 16 (5) : e0010410.

Enhancing research integration to improve One Health actions: learning lessons from neglected tropical diseases experiences
Rotureau B, Waleckx E, Jamonneau V, et al. BMJ. BMJ Global Health. 2022; 7 (6) : e008881.

Evaluation of the Usability of a Mobile Application on Neglected Skin Diseases in Côte d'Ivoire: A Pilot Study
Itoh S, Kouadio K, Didier KY, et al. IOS Press. MEDINFO 2021: One World, One Health – Global Partnership for Digital Innovation. 2022.

Parasites and priorities: the early evolution of 'neglected disease' initiatives and the history of a global health agenda
Webel MK. BMJ. Medical Humanities. 2022; 48 (2) : 177-189.

The COMBAT project: controlling and progressively minimizing the burden of vector-borne animal trypanosomosis in Africa
Boulangé A, Lejon V, Berthier D, et al. F1000 Research Ltd. Open Research Europe. 2022.

Eliminating congenital syphilis and congenital Chagas disease
Buekens P, Berrueta M, Harville E, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet Regional Health - Americas. 2022.

Telemedicine for screening eye disease in the remote Peruvian Amazon: proof-of-concept
Nesemann JM, Muñoz M, Talero SL, et al. Oxford University Press (OUP). Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2021; 116 (6) : 589-591.

Contribution of researchers in Arab countries to scientific publications on neglected tropical diseases (1971 – 2020)
Sweileh WM. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. Tropical Diseases, Travel Medicine and Vaccines. 2022.

Control, elimination, eradication: Where do we stand with NTDs? Scientific day of the SFMTSI, 25 November 2021.
Chandenier J, Chippaux J, Gazin P, et al. Medecine tropicale et sante internationale. 2021.

Current situation of fungal diseases in Eritrea
Werkneh S, Orefuwa E, Denning DW. Wiley. Mycoses. 2022.

Scaling-up community-based rehabilitation programs in rural Thailand: the development of a capacity building program
Tongsiri S. Research Square Platform LLC. 2022.

Scaling-up community-based rehabilitation programs in rural Thailand: the development of a capacity building program
Tongsiri S. Research Square Platform LLC. 2022.

Emerging computational technologies in human leishmaniasis: where are we?
Tuon FF, Amato VS, Zequinao T, et al. Oxford University Press (OUP). Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2022.

Noma staging: a review
Khammissa RAG, Lemmer J, Feller L. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. Tropical Medicine and Health. 2022.

Noma: A Neglected Area for Research
Ogbureke K. SAGE Publications. Journal of Dental Research. 2022.

Conclusions of the African Regional GIS Summit (2019): using geographic information systems for public health decision-making
Akpan GU, Mohammed HF, Touray K, et al. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. BMC Proceedings. 2022.

Mycetoma of the Head and Neck: A Re-appraisal
Sharma A, Singh N, Gupta N, et al. Marwah Infotech. Asian Pacific Journal of Health Sciences. 2022; 9 (2) : 72-79.

Visual ethnographic documentation: a novel tool for mycetoma awareness and advocacy
Fahal AH, Otieno LA, Ahmed ES, et al. Oxford University Press (OUP). Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2022.

What the snake leaves in its wake: Functional limitations and disabilities among snakebite victims in Ghanaian communities
Aglanu LM, Amuasi JH, Schut BA, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2022; 16 (5) : e0010322.

Shared decision-making and person-centred care approaches in three African regions
Gogovor A, Fakhfakh M, Asmaou Bouba D, et al. Elsevier BV. Zeitschrift für Evidenz, Fortbildung und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen. 2022.

Telemedicine options to address identified health needs in Botswana
Ncube B, Mars M, Scott RE. SAGE Publications. DIGITAL HEALTH. 2022.

Neglected Tropical Disease as an Hidden Cause of Cardiovascular Diseases: A Systematic Review of Cardiovascular Manifestations of Schistosomiasis, African Trypanosomiasis and Chagas Disease
Ojo R, Adekanye I, Odedele T, et al. Journal of Clinical & Experimental Cardiology. 2022.

Governance & Health Systems

What should equity in global health research look like?
Kumar M, Atwoli L, Burgess RA, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet. 2022.

Urgent need to invest in health and care workers
Boniol M, Siyam A, Diallo K, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet. 2022.

Measuring the availability of human resources for health and its relationship to universal health coverage for 204 countries and territories from 1990 to 2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019
Haakenstad A, Irvine CMS, Knight M, et al. Elsevier BV. The Lancet. 2022.

Integrating tropical research into biology education is urgently needed
Russell AE, Aide TM, Braker E, et al. Public Library of Science (PLoS). PLOS Biology. 2022; 20 (6) : e3001674.

Strategies to adapt and implement health system guidelines and recommendations: a scoping review.
Breneol S, Curran J, Marten R, et al. Health research policy and systems. 2022; 20 (1) : 64.

News & Webinars

NTD NGO Network (NNN) Conference - Registration is open!
The NNN is delighted to announce that this year's NTD NGO Network (NNN) Annual Conference will take place from Tuesday 13th to Thursday 15th September 2022
The event will be in a Hybrid format, taking place in-person in Kathmandu, Nepal as well as some elements being streamed virtually.
Have you registered for the conference?

The 7th Global Symposium on Health Systems Research (HSR2022)
HSR2022 will explore the following sub-themes:

  • The politics and policies of health systems
  • Intersectoral collaboration and integrative governance on the road for health in all policies
  • The changing dynamics of health provision models to promote equity and the central role of human resources for health
  • The role of comprehensive primary care in promoting sustainability and the contribution of new technologies

Symposium date: Oct 31th - Nov 4th, Bogota

World Water Week 2022 - Seeing the Unseen: The Value of Water.
Online you can join us in two stints: first 23-25 August and then 29 August to 1 September. If you prefer to come to Stockholm, we welcome you from the 28 August when the first day will be filled with on-site sessions. Between 29 August and 1 September, everything can be followed both online and on-site in Stockholm.
Date: August, 23rd - Sep, 1st

Three-session series: "Highlighting recent results from COR-NTD funded operational research on Disease Management, Disability, and Inclusion" by the Neglected Tropical Disease Network for NGOs (NNN) Disease Management, Disability, and Inclusion (DMDI) working group and the Coalition for Operational Research on Neglected Tropical Diseases (COR-NTD)

Second session
Insight into the peer support group model

Third session
Highlights the results of several research studies focused on delivery and integration of morbidity management and disability prevention services

Don't forget to register!

2nd LEAP Scientific Conference
The 2nd LEAP Scientific Conference 'Scientific innovation and access for leishmaniasis management' will take place virtually on 2-4 November 2021.
Abstract submission deadline is on 30th June 2021 at 11:30pm East Africa Time (EAT)

The tenth EDCTP Forum will be online from 17 – 21 October 2021, because of the COVID-19 travel restrictions.  The Forum's theme this year is: 'Equity in research for health'. This virtual meeting will be streamed from the Joaquim Chissano International Conference Centre in Maputo Mozambique.

ISNTD Connect - A series of online short meetings to learn, share and stay connected

Sign up to receive details of upcoming ISNTD Connect meetings or view a recording of the many interesting webinars that were held in the past months.

GDPR & the InfoNTD newsletter

New EU data protection regulations came into force on 25 May 2018. We have been reviewing our practices with regards to the GDPR, including our privacy statement and mailing list.

InfoNTD sends out monthly e-mails with an overview of recent publications on NTDs and cross-cutting issues. The purpose of this activity is to keep subscribers up to date.

InfoNTD will only process the data we have (names, email addresses) for the purpose of sending you the newsletter. We take your security seriously and will never share your contact details with anyone else.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list at any time.

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) LRI Spring Meeting 2022 - presentations

Leprosy Mailing List – June 16,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) LRI Spring Meeting 2022 - presentations

From:  Nienke Veldhuijzen, Amsterdam, the Netheralnds

Dear Colleagues,

The annual Spring Meeting of the Leprosy Research Initiative welcomed online around 200 participants from 48 countries on April 7th-8th 2022. This meeting, in the words of Dr Richard Truman (Chair of the LRI Scientific Review Committee), "is designed mainly to review the progress of the various research projects supported by the LRI. It is also intended to be a form for the exchange of new information from established scientists and young investigators, as well as a platform for facilitating networking and, hopefully, developing new synergies."

Unfortunately, despite extensive preparation, some unforeseen technical issues related to the online platform affected some of the meeting sessions. Several participants were not able to join the progress presentation sessions, or the quality of the image resolution was suboptimal.

The LRI made efforts to gather these presentations to share on our website for people who could not attend the meeting as well as for attendees not able to follow the presentations due to the technical problems.

If you wish to (re-)watch progress and keynote presentations as well as plenary discussions, please find these on our website.

Thank you for your interest in LRI's work and we hope to see you in the next Spring Meeting in spring of 2023.

Kindest regards,

Nienke Veldhuijzen

LRI Technical Officer
Leprosy Research Initiative team

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) A strategic framework for integrated control and management of skin-related neglected tropical diseases

Leprosy Mailing List – June 15,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) A strategic framework for integrated control and management of skin-related neglected tropical diseases

From:  CR Revankar, USA and India

Dear All,

I am glad to share a copy of the " A strategic framework for integrated control and management of skin-related neglected tropical diseases" WHO 2022 (see attached file).

This strategic framework was prepared as a companion document to the NTD road map 2021-2030. Its goal is to assist endemic countries in reducing the morbidity, disability and psycho-social impacts of skin NTDs and other skin conditions through integration of various activities to achieve 2030 goals of leprosy and other NTDs.

I hope the members of the LML find it useful.

All the best. Regards,

Dr.CR Revankar

USA and India

LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

--

Fw: Ref.: (LML) COVID set off a boom in diagnostics; the pandemic accelerated the development of cutting-edge PCR tests.

Leprosy Mailing List – May 14,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) COVID set off a boom in diagnostics; the pandemic accelerated the development of cutting-edge PCR tests.

From:  Pieter AM Schreuder, Maastricht, the Netherlands

Dear colleagues,

In a recent Scientific American edition (Scientific American, March 2022; by Roxanne Khamsi; pages 37-41) I found the following interesting article: "COVID set off a boom in diagnostics; the pandemic accelerated the development of cutting-edge PCR tests".

The quotes below are from this article (with high respect and gratefulness to Willy Ssengooba and Roxanne Khamsi):

"A decade ago Willy Ssengooba, scientific director of the mycobacteriology research unit at Makerere University College of Health Sciences in Kampala, Uganda, began crisscrossing the country, training heath-care workers on how to use a new machine to detect tuberculosis. These new machines used rapid molecular testing to yield results within a couple of hours, meaning patients who tested positive could immediately be referred for lifesaving treatment. 265 of these devices in clinics around the country were set up.

Not long after the first case of covid was reported in Uganda on March 21, 2020, the Ministry of Health asked him to set up screening posts at border crossings. Ssengooba and his team began facilitating the collection of nasal swabs taken from truckers at popular entry points. Those samples, sometimes more than 1,000 a day, needed to be shuttled 150 miles to Kampala, the nearest place with laboratory technology set up to run a polymerase chain reaction. The Ssengooba's team had to shuttle the samples themselves; a crew of about 50 workers collected the samples and in pickup trucks delivered them to the lab in Kampala, then turned around to go back for the next batch, spending long, exhausting nights on the road. As the pandemic intensified, they could not keep up. Truckers awaiting their test results were stalled at the border for days, in part because the sample analysis in Kampala would sometimes take up to 72 hours to return a result. A queue of trucks formed, stretching for kilometers, holding import of everything. On top of that the authorities had closed the airport.

The government was desperate to alleviate the backlog. Ssengooba considered the 265 machines he has set up throughout Uganda over the years to test for tuberculosis. He realised he could repurpose some of these small PCR machines to test for the coronavirus by using a different sample-processing cartridge. He reallocated that equipment directly to the border entry points and engineered some basic infrastructure (electric power; benchtop safety spaces) to support their use. Unlike the lab setup in Kampala, which requires multiple machines spread across different rooms and experienced technicians to prepare and process the samples, these so-called GeneXpert modules were automated and about the size of a printer. They still used the PCR technology but could return results on the spot in around half an hour.

By May the first COVID testing systems were working at the crossing point on the Kenya-Uganda border, reducing the waiting time from days to around half an hour.

However, after successfully setting up the fast-turnaround GeneXpert, Ssengooba soon run out of the cartridges and reagents the machines rely on and because of USA export restrictions did receive only very limited  additional cartridges for the rest of 2020."

"How Covid is shaping the future of diagnostics:

Modern PCR machines use plastic trays that traditionally have each contained 96 or 384 small wells to hold samples. To circumvent the need for expensive plastic "consumables" such as tubes and caps, a U.K. company replaced the tray with a long flexible polymer tape. That allows to do up to 150,000 tests per machine per day, ten times more than any machine in the world, and at ten times less cost.

Another bottleneck with PCR is that "you have to get the sample very, very purified" before running the test. Adams and Haselton at Vanderbilt University, had the idea of adding DNA that is a mirror version of the target genetic sequence the PCR test is trying to detect. By reducing the need for purification with the left-handed DNA (naturally occurring DNA is right-handed) – which costs about 11 cents per test – lab could save significant labour and material costs."

"Now that COVID has shown how important is for testing to be accessible, there is more enthusiasm for portable PCR devices, and rapid developments like the above-mentioned. Diagnostics developers are continuing to tinker with PCR.

Public health has always been stymied by the hours or days between collecting  a sample and delivering the results to the patient. Imaging a future where portable PCR tests with on-site results are commonplace."

My question is obvious: what about leprosy, and will the coming congress pay attention to this topic?

Pieter AM Schreuder

LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

--

Ref.:  (LML) Economic Empowerment for persons with disabilities and persons affected by leprosy: Challenges and Successes from projects across Asia and Africa

From:  Tim Burton, Eastbourne, UK

Dear colleagues,

The objective of this COSP15 (UN CRPD) side event (Jun 17, 2022 01:30 PM in London)  will be to consider economic empowerment projects within the disability and leprosy sector. We aim to understand what challenges these projects and the people within them are facing and how they are overcoming those challenges. We also aim to understand the successes, what has led to the success, and how this could be replicated in other places.

Through this side event we hope to equip attendees with the knowledge and insight that will guide their own work within the leprosy and disability sectors.

Through this side event we hope to equip attendees with the knowledge and insight that will guide their own work within the leprosy and disability sectors.

Moderator:
Mr Mathias Duck, Global Advocacy Lead at The Leprosy Mission International

Panellists:
Mrs Mangala Dhondge, Livelihoods Programme Manager, The Leprosy Mission Trust India

Dr Sangeeta Kaushal Mishra, Chief, Health Co-ordination Division, Ministry of Health and Population, Government of Nepal

Mr Abayneh Gujo, DPI Ethiopia (Federation of Ethiopian National Associations of Persons with Disability (FENAPD)

Dr Arie de Kruijff, Country Leader of The Leprosy Mission Mozambique

Ms Laththuwa Handhi Subodha Galahitiyawa, PhD student at the University of the West of Scotland, researching the lives experiences of entrepreneurs with disability

Register now to receive the meeting link
: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XsSvc84vRbytlXARS0PQHg

For more information, contact Tim Burton – tim.burton@leprosymission.org.

Tim Burton

Global Communication Lead

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) WHO Goodwill Ambassador's Leprosy Bulletin NO. 109, May 2022

Leprosy Mailing List �C June 5,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) WHO Goodwill Ambassador's Leprosy Bulletin NO. 109, May 2022

From:  Takahiro Nanri, Tokyo, Japan

Dear Dr. Schreuder and Friends,

Warm greetings from Sasakawa Health Foundation/Sasakawa Leprosy (Hansen's Disease) Initiative in Tokyo.

We have issued WHO Goodwill Ambassador's Leprosy Bulletin NO. 109 May 2022 Initiatives in Africa and South America. In this issue, we feature:

MESSAGE FROM THE AMBASSADOR
Nine months have passed since the "Don't forget leprosy" campaign was launched in August 2021 to coincide with my 20th anniversary as WHO Goodwill Ambassador. Thanks to the efforts of many people, these nine months have included production of six webinars, five videos, and requests to the governments of 55 countries for their cooperation.  Read More

AMBASSADOR'S JOURNAL
WHO Goodwill Ambassador Yohei Sasakawa attended the 75th World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland, where he met with health ministers from around the world and urged them to work actively to combat leprosy. Read more

INTERVIEW
UN Special Rapporteur Alice Cruz resumes country visits, starting with Angola - Alice Cruz, United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the elimination of Alice Cruz has held the mandate for UN Special Rapporteur on the elimination of discrimination against persons affected by leprosy and their family members since it was first established by the Human Rights Council in 2017. Her first official visit to Angola took place April 28-May 10, 2022. Read more

VIEWPOINT
Somalia is accelerating efforts to eliminate leprosy - Dr. Venkata Ranganadha Rao Pemmaraju, Acting Team Leader, Global Leprosy Programme World Health Organization (WHO)
Somalia, located in the horn of Africa and an important commercial center in antiquity, has an estimated population of 16.5 million people (2021). Agropastoralism remains the most common lifestyle, along with some nomadic livestock herding. Read more

REPORT
Building back better: Brazilian pandemic-era innovations for increasing early diagnosis and treatment - Dr. Gerson Fernando Mendes Pereira Director, The pandemic years 2020 and 2021 brought additional challenges for Brazil's national Hansen's disease program. The restrictions imposed in response to COVID-19 during this period had a considerable impact on active search for cases and their family contacts by health care services. Read more

NEXT GENERATION
Morhan's Intergenerational Department encourages youth to represent themselves - Marcos Vinicius Costa Santos, Coordinator, Intergenerational Department National Morhan
The participation of young people in society is of paramount importance. Their participation is a tool for collective and democratic transformation, and they are the ones who must represent themselves when policies are being made.  Read more

WISH LIST
Lucrecia Vásquez Acevedo, Legal Representative and President, Felehansen
For each issue, the Leprosy Bulletin asks a person affected by leprosy or an individual involved in leprosy-related work for two to three things that they wish could happen. We ask contributors to be bold in order to stimulate thinking and inspire new approaches.  Read more

LETTER
Empowering ourselves through Felehansen
In 2014, a group of persons affected by leprosy (Hansen's disease) in Colombia created what is now called Federación de Asociaciones de Personas Afectadas por Lepra �C Hansen (Felehansen). Our group brings together hundreds of people from around the country.  Read more

BACK ISSUES
We hope that you would enjoy reading the latest Leprosy Bulletin.

Takahiro NANRI, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Sasakawa Health Foundation

Sasakawa Leprosy (Hansen's Disease) Initiative
Sasakawa Health Foundation
Tel
81-3-6229-5377, Fax81-33-6229-5388
email: hansen@shf.or.jp