Monday, May 26, 2008

Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in leprosy

Leprosy Mailing List, April 2nd, 2008

Ref.: Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in leprosy
From: Al Aboud K. M., Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Dear Dr Noto,

Greetings.Recently, I saw 2 cases of leprosy (treated since long time and with multiple disabilities), who have pigmented basal cell carcinoma on the lateral canthus of the eye. I checked the pubmed for such occurrence of BCC in leprosy and, I could see many reports of skin cancer in chronic ulcers in leprosy. However, I could not find in my quick search any reference of cases similar to mine.
I would really appreciate the comments from Leprosy Mailing List (LML) members about this. Does the destruction of the skin nerves has any role in carcinogenesis of the skin?

With my best regards.

Sincerely,

Dr Khalid Al Aboud
Medical Director and Consultant Dermatologist King Faisal Hospital , P.O Box 5592 Makkah Saudi Arabia Tel 0096625566411 ext 6666 Fax 0096625563523 E-mail: alaboudkhalidatyahoo.ca

No comments: