Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The word "leper" (“L”)

Leprosy Mailing List,
June 17th, 2009
Ref.: The word "leper" (“L”)
From: Manimozhi N., Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Dear Dr. Noto,

This is with reference to LML May 30th 2009 regarding “The legacy of Brazil's leper colonies” attachment paper by Elisabeth Poorman.

If I could recollect there had been a lot of discussion with the Author, on technical, operation, ethical, logical and emotional parameters and stopped. Now it appears again. I really do not want to go to continue discussions on technical aspects but on very sensitive emotional issue the “L” word. In the paper I found words synonymous with leprosy like Hansen’s and the most disliked, discouraged, word “L“.

Many of us keep fighting against use of this words and it seems to be an ever ending battle. Should we give up! If no then what should we do. I do not intend to ridicule the Author, maybe there is a very valid reason. We need to have a fair dialogue with the Author and I would go on to request, plead and what not! Madam please stop using this word “L”.

I can only beg, plead, and request..... please join the movement and try to protect the “Rights of all Persons affected due to leprosy”.

I am sure she did not commit with intentions but out of ignorance – sometimes there is no excuse for ignorance. I am trying to face this situation with a positive attitude and hope, will see a difference a Change!

With best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. N. Manimozhi
Medical Coordination – AIFO/India

No comments: