Leprosy Mailing List – June 30, 2019
Ref.: (LML) Early Diagnosis and Leprosy-chemoprophylaxis
From: Ben Naafs, Munnekeburen, the Netherlands
State of the art lecture about Early Diagnosis and Leprosy-chemoprophylaxis by Dr. Ben Naafs. 24th World Congress of Dermatology, Milan, June 2019.
The message of his talk was:
- It is easy to talk about State of the Art when we forget the lessons from the past.
- The diagnosis of leprosy is still clinical. We know that the environment may contain viable M.leprae.
- Follow-up after release from treatment is often not provided.
- Chemoprophylaxis, well-advertised today, is back to where it was in the eighties.
- Give contacts treatment, not a single dose.
- Presently, chemoprophylaxis together with vaccination is the only strategy to reduce incidence.
Note editor: In total 57 slides; Leprosy-chemoprophylaxis from slide 39 onwards. We had problems attaching the original file to Google Group.
LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder
LML blog link: http://leprosymailinglist.
Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << email@example.com