Sunday, November 6, 2022

Fw: Ref.: (LML) Diversity and Progress

Leprosy Mailing List – November 6,  2022

Ref.:  (LML) Diversity and Progress

From:  Joel Almeida, Mumbai, India

Dear Pieter and colleagues,

Diversity of funding sources is critical for progress against HD. It is what keeps us moving forward as the best ideas keep surfacing. Without diversity in funding, and diversity of talent, it is easy to gravitate towards the echo chamber approach. That is where fiction too often can replace fact, and everyone is expected to echo the fiction.

The best ideas, the most effective ones, often emerge out of free and open discussion. The worst ones can survive, despite good intentions on all sides, when funding sources are consolidated. That is why diversity of funding is critical in HD and in any field that hopes to progress.

Long may we progress towards the world we want to create: where HD is no longer feared and preferably no longer a threat to the people of endemic countries. Long may we enjoy diversity of funding, diversity of talent and diversity of views. It is from that crucible of diversity that the gold of success generally emerges.

Best,

Joel Almeida

LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

Sent: 06 November 2022 14:57
To: Leprosy Mailing List <leprosymailinglist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Ref.: (LML) Diversity and Progress