Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Park's Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine-19th Edition, 2007

Leprosy Mailing List, January 24th, 2009

Ref.: Park's Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine-19th Edition, 2007
From: Pannikar V., New Delhi , India
Dear Dr Noto,
Thank you for circulating the reply from Mr Bahnot-publisher of the text book.
V. Pannikar


Dear Dr Pannikar,
Greetings, I am forwarding here below a communication received from the author of the book Dr K. Park for your kind perusal.
<< " I wish to say that health education is the best tool available to change the public opinion about myths and beliefs associated with leprosy. It took decades to remove fear complex about TB and now, by and by, people are coming forward for treatment on their own. Same way, the national leprosy eradication programme is doing a commendable job to remove the psychological fear about leprosy and the MDT has shown a drastic fall in prevalence rate during last 15 years or so.

What I had written about social pathology was the picture till a few years back, however the matter has been amended as per current scenario in the forthcoming 20th edition of the book. Regarding the mater on page 277, I am not writing about isolation of the patient. The subject mater is written only to make the medicos aware about the preventive aspect of breaking the chain of transmission between the period of initiation of treatment and succession of infectivity in a infectious case of leprosy, which should be taken in the right perspective.
I convey my thanks for your initiative and communication in the mater." >>
I hope the above note of the author meets the requirement. I request you to kindly forward to me your postal address, so as to enable me to send a complimentary copy of the 20th edition of the book, when it will be released, may be by Feb end.With best regards,

B. M. Bhanot

No comments: