Friday, June 4, 2010

Tourniquet in reconstructive surgery

Leprosy Mailing List – March 5th, 2010

Ref.: Tourniquet in reconstructive surgery

From: T S Narayanakumar, Kumbakonam , India


Dear Dr Noto,

I refer to “Nerve function loss after reconstructive surgery” by Angelica Piefer dated January 23, 2010. I have been following the communications regarding tourniquet in reconstructive surgery and I wish to add my observation.

I have used tourniquet in my patients both at Sacred Heart Leprosy Centre, Kumbakonam and Hoina Leprosy Research Centre, Muniguda. On few occasions, when I had extended tourniquet duration beyond 45 minutes, which is the usual, most of the patients used to complain of pain due to ischemia, especially when the duration exceed 50 to 55 minutes. That is the warning and indication to deflate the tourniquet at once.

Thanks,

With regards,

Narayanakumar

T S Narayanakumar ,

General and Hand Surgeon,

25, Gandhi Nagar,

Kumbakonam-612001

India

E mail drtsnkumar(at)yahoo.co.in

No comments: