Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Proposal for "Guidelines for the management of acute neuritis in leprosy” – Part I. Definition


Leprosy Mailing List – February 2nd, 2012 
Ref.:    Proposal for "Guidelines for the management of acute neuritis in leprosy” – Part I. Definition
From:  H K Kar, New Delhi, India

Dear Dr Noto,
Thank you very much to Dr Mahé and to the Association of the French speaking leprologists for this initiative (LML 18th Jan. 2012).  Herewith I am trying to give my opinion on the first question:
1) What is your definition of 'acute leprosy neuritis' ?
My definition:-
<< Sudden onset of acute inflammation of the nerve presenting with acute pain in peripheral nerve or nerve tenderness and/or swelling due to nerve abscess with or without recent onset of neurological deficit of usually 6 months duration in a leprosy patient is called as “acute leprosy neuritis”.
Best regards,
Dr (Prof.) H K Kar
Consultant & HOD
Department of Dermatology, STD & Leprosy
P.G.I.M.E.R. and Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital
Baba Kharag Singh Marg
New Delhi-110001

No comments: