Saturday, February 21, 2015

(LML) How Efficacious is MDT

Leprosy Mailing List – February 21,  2015

Ref.:    (LML) How Efficacious is MDT

From:  Sunil D.Ghate, Mumbai, India


 

Dear all,

 

This mail from Dr Gelber is quite informative (LML February 18, 2015).

 

I worked at FMR, Mumbai with Dr Shetty who initiated this discussion. We saw quite a few patients of relapse & published those results. In my private practice, I don't differentiate between MB & PB for treatment. All cases of leprosy get 3 drugs. I have started giving daily Rifampicin over past few years to all the patients; I also dose Clofazimine at 100 mg daily and Dapsone is continued at 100 mg. PB patients receive minimum of 1 year of MDT while in MB, I give up to 3 years & beyond depending on patients initial status. I try & do biopsy at the completion of Rx to ascertain that there was no activity.

 

Many of my colleagues also prescribe MDT for a longer duration. I feel WHO MDT MB is outdated & revision is needed even for field programmes. I don't know whether we treat any other disease with monthly dose, given for 12/24 months.

 

Regards.

 

Dr Sunil D Ghate

MD,DNB,DDV,MNAMS 

Consultant Dermatologist 

Mumbai,India


LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

LML blog link: http://leprosymailinglist.blogspot.it/

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com




This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


No comments: