Saturday, November 14, 2015

(LML) Draft WHO Leprosy Strategy 2016-2020

Leprosy Mailing List – November 14,  2015

Ref.:    (LML) Draft WHO Leprosy Strategy 2016-2020

From:  PK Das, Birmingham, UK


 

Dear Pieter,


This one liner, (may be few liners) remark on the communication by Jan Hendrik Richardus on "WHO Leprosy strategy per se." (LML, November 12, 2015) is not on the WHO strategy for eliminating transmission to zero incidence, which is "mission impossible".


My concern is on "the understanding of mathematical modelling" in relation to impact on transmission and how far it is proven. I also wonder, (since the last Beijing International congress), and I had been scratching my head in order to understand the original mathematical modelling . I must admit that I do not understand it at all and to me it is an abstract concept based on mathematical circus. I wonder how many Pundits do understand "this modelling", and to what extent this model has helped towards the reduction of leprosy burden and hence the transmission.


In continuation Jan goes on about, early innovative detection of cases and interventions with chemoprophylaxis, immunoprophylaxis, etc., all sounds very well and these jargons appear to have sprang up from a round table discussion over a glass of wine or a cup of coffee.


However, on one score, he seems to be absolutely right is that, the idea of "Uniform MDT" to bring down transmission is not only surprising but fairy tale. Attention should be focussed on personalised treatment of patients before being released from treatment.


In advance, I convey my apology to all of you for "uttering these few liners" like novice.


Regards,


Pran


LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

LML blog link: http://leprosymailinglist.blogspot.it/

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


No comments: