Monday, August 30, 2010

Can drug used in leprosy (Clofazimine, Dapsone, Rifampicin and Prednisolone) cause hyponatraemia?

Leprosy Mailing List – August 23rd, 2010

Ref.: Can drug used in leprosy (Clofazimine, Dapsone, Rifampicin and Prednisolone) cause hyponatraemia?

From: Adamou Idi , Niger


Dear Dr Salvatore

I greet you in the name of our Almighty God. Sir, let me to introduce myself to you, my name is Adamou Idi and I have been involved in the Leprosy Control Programme since 1993, I have been trained by many visitors like Dr Francoise Luthi.

We have a multibacillary leprosy patient on treatment, he is on at his fifth blister package, and is in severe leprosy reaction type 2 (ENL). He has been suffering with fever for more than 3 weeks, he has lost weight. The doctor that we are working with asked some questions about the sides effects of leprosy drugs like Clofazimine, Dapsone, Rifampicin and Prednisolone. Can they cause hyponotraemia? The patient has very low blood sodium.

We would greatly appreciate any advice.

With kinds regards,

Thank you

Adamou Idi

No comments: