Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Clofazimine in recurrent type 2 (ENL) leprosy reaction

Leprosy Mailing List – September 2nd, 2010

Ref.:   Clofazimine in recurrent type 2 (ENL) leprosy reaction.
From: B Naafs, Munnekeburen, The Netherlands



Dear Dr Ailton,

Thank you very much for your message dated LML Aug. 29th, 2007.  I agree with the positive effect of lamprene (clofazimine) on recurrent ENL. It is still one of the drugs I use for this severe condition.  Pieter Schreuder and I wrote a small letter to the editor about this:-
P.A.M. Schreuder and B. Naafs. Chronic recurrent ENL, steroid dependant: Long-term treatment with high dose of clofazimine.  Lepr. Rev. 74 (2003) 386-389
This paper can be accessed via the Website of leprosy review.  I have to admit that there is "no scientific evidence", but I believe you, and I have seen good results too.  

The major argument against the success of lamprene is the time frame.  Would it not have abated by its own?

I hope more colleagues will respond.

With kind regards,

Ben Naafs

No comments: