Saturday, February 20, 2016

(LML) In Memoriam Dr. Srinivasan

Leprosy Mailing List – February 20,  2016

Ref.:    (LML) In Memoriam Dr. Srinivasan 

From:  PK Das, Birmingham, UK


 

Dear Pieter,


This note is to express my respect and condolence to the family and friends of Dr Shrinivasan and like to convey the sweet memories of myself and my wife Lucie, of our first meeting with this hermit like gentleman with full of wisdom.

 

We met Dr Shrinivasan at his unpretentious home (the staff residence) in JALMA in 1981, my first visit to JALMA, when Dr Shrinivasan was the director of the institute. What was striking is that in contrast to the other scientific staff his living and his whole persona was so simple and humble, his conversation was so gentle (in contrast to mine). I felt like touching his feet and tell him out loud: “I am humbled in front of you and please convey me some basics of this terrible disease leprosy”, despite the fact that I already formed my own idea (right or wrong) and had made my strategy how to look into the mystery of this disease. I shared my idea with him and also expressed my fear that I may end up with frustration. His words, "please go ahead, do your bits like Lord Krisna instructed Arjuna, Bhagabat Gita and if you face frustration, be it and the consolation will be you gave it a try”.


The bottom line is that I have ended up in frustration. Though several publications appeared and some were regarded by some pundits as ground breaking, I remain frustrated and cynical. In the midst of frustration and cynicism, I remember Dr Shrinivasan with great compassion and affection and reverence. I pray for his soul in eternity.


My best regards for a hermit.


Pran


LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

LML blog link: http://leprosymailinglist.blogspot.it/

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

 


Dit e-mailbericht is verzonden vanaf een virusvrije computer die wordt beschermd door Avast.
www.avast.com

No comments: