Tuesday, August 13, 2013

(LML) Sensory testing peripheral neuropathy

Leprosy Mailing List – August 13,  2013 

Ref.:    (LML) Sensory testing peripheral neuropathy

From:  Grace Warren, Sidney, Australia



 Dear Pieter,

I note a few letters in the last 24 hours,  regarding recording of  abnormalities in sensory   perception .    

I wonder if you have ever seen my text book" The care of Neuropathic limbs"  that Prof Syd Nade ( orthopaedic surgeon) helped me get published in 1999. In it there is a lovely little cartoon showing the use of a open oval paper clip that is almost better than a pen as when the clip is part opened one has a blunt curved end and a flat cut end and one can make the patient point to where he feels the touch and say smooth or rough.   Often the patient can feel  touch , all be it vaguely- but cannot tell whether it is  sharp or blunt so has an abnormality of sensory perception  or he has misreference and points to the wrong spot. So here are two other methods of charting sensory abnormality  in a patient who says  Yes I can feel - but does not have a supply of the good filaments. I have managed to scan the illustration on to this email so it is there if you feel it worth including (see attached file).

For those who receive it   "Tropical  doctor" published an article by me  on October 2002, called " Practical Management of  neuropathic feet"  in which we  included the cartoon., and some other relevant  facts and diagrams  about  care of neuropathic limbs.

Good testing!!    Grace.

 

p/s   By  the way my text book " the care of neuropathic limbs " is no longer available from the publisher( who closed down) but I still have a few hundred copies that I  will gladly give to those who are really prepared to use it.,   When it was first published in 1999 the Leprosy Mission ordered an extra 500 laminated copies that we gave to leprosy hospitals and clinics round the world., But  I suspect I have the only remaining store now ,  and am trying to place them where they will be used properly,  instead of being recycled and destroyed.,


LML - S Deepak, B Naafs, S Noto and P Schreuder

LML blog link: http://leprosymailinglist.blogspot.it/

Contact: Dr Pieter Schreuder << editorlml@gmail.com

No comments: